DIPLOMA OF AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION
MODE OF LEARNING
Agriculture extension and advisory services involve improving agricultural systems to continue feeding the world's rapidly increasing population, performing an important role of reducing hunger and poverty in the various nations of the world.
In doing this, the approach of agriculture extension is to focus on organisations that include public, private, and sectors in society who are actively involved in supporting farmers and rural communities in enhancing optimum production of agricultural products and their movement though highly efficient value chains.
Students trained in the principles and practice of agriculture extension will assume leading roles aimed at increasing the efficiency of farming systems and elements in the value chain between the farm gate and end consumers.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This diploma is targeted at various groups of individuals, including but not limited to:-
- Extension agents who are already involved in agricultural extension activities;
- Individuals who have already received a diploma in other disciplines including business, education and sociology;
- Individuals who already have a bachelor's degree and wish to specialize in activities involving agricultural extension.
JOB OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE
In order to grow the agriculture sector in Zambia, employment is required in the following areas:
- Advisory services involved in farm management;
- Public extension agencies;
- Dealers in agricultural products;
- Agribusiness services;
- Providers of financial services;
- International and local non-governmental organisations;
- Producer organisations and cooperatives involved in the production of agricultural products.